Saturday, January 8, 2011

Inspiration: Comic Art

Life & Laughter
To select well among old things, is almost equal to inventing new ones.
- Nicholas Charles Trublet

The Pursuit of Art
Inspiration. Just about everything an artist creates is somehow inspired by those who created before us. When I was a little whipper-snapper, I got my ideas from our wildlife encyclopedias and my gram’s Ideals books. I discovered comic books in the 80’s and found Frank Miller, Dave Stevens and Charles Vess. After that, the work of Simon Bisley, Kelly Jones, and Alex Ross caught my eye. My favorite, though, was Mike Mignola. I love the simplicity of the line work and the big black inked areas. The best pieces are colored by what looks, to me, to be watercolors. Just awesome!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment