Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Get the Glue

Life & Laughter
When my younger brother, Mark, was about ten years old, he attended Karate class. It was Tae Kwon Do, to be more specific. I called it Duck Ku Bo just to agitate. When he got to a point in his training when he could start breaking boards, my dad got some inexpensive pine boards and cut them up for him. I never saw Mark do it, but he wasted no time chopping them all in half. I saw the pile of mangled boards in the basement. Fast-forward a week or two. I went down to the basement looking for my industrial-sized bottle of super glue for one of my many since forgotten projects. The bottle was empty. Bone dry. Who got to my glue? I’m looking around in a panic, when I spot Mark’s boards neatly stacked in a corner and miraculously healed! On closer inspection, I could see the glue gushing out from the crack of each and every board. He used ten dollars in glue to fix two dollars in boards. In a fit of anger, I busted them all over my knee. I’m so ashamed of my teenaged self.

"Get the glue."
"We’re out of glue."
"You used up all the glue on purpose!"
-Exchange between mom and dad in the movie, A Christmas Story.

The Pursuit of Art
Some of the my paper sculpture pieces were cut to a very fine point.  So fine, in fact, that I had to add a glue mixture to the edges of some of the tiny pieces to keep them from fraying.  The blades of grass on this project had to receive the glue treatment to hold them together.  I've shown this piece in an earlier blog, but click on this Zebra Grasshopper and you'll get a larger 1024x768 wallpaper size.  Two wallpapers in two days.  Can't beat that!

No comments:

Post a Comment