Monday, August 8, 2011

Coco Mask WIP #1

Many of my followers on deviantART have requested tutorials for some of my clay techniques, particularly my faux wood technique.  In order to accommodate those who wish to be in the know, WIP (work in progress) postings will become a regular staple here on my blog.
I am currently working on a Coco Tribal Mask.  Coco, as many of you know, is late night talk show host, Conan O'Brien.  When this is finished, it will be sent to the show to see if it might get some air-time, such as a graphic shown before or after commercials.  Hey, you never know.
Anyhoo, here is my sculpture to be used to form the mask.  Get your paper and pencil ready, here is my first tip...All my original sculpts are made of Super Sculpey and that block of cement they call Super Sculpey Firm!  I've tried all kinds of clays and all kinds of mixtures, but a 50/50 mix of the two clays mentioned above is a perfect modeling clay.  It becomes soft enough to work with and stiff enough to hold your designs.


Tomorrow, we'll look at molds and why we need them, especially when creating faux wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment